In the last post I mentioned having some photos of when we mapped a bunch of the joints in some of the uninscribed tombs and that often these things were filled with a hard precipitate stone. Still don’t remember what the heck it is. I thought it was quartzite, but that’s derived from sandstone. Anyway, the stuff is really hard and I found three photos (yeah, I know they’re labeled ‘calcite’ which is decidedly not it but whatever). This first one shows a joint on the side of a hill. It’s the line just right of center, and while some of it is open, a lump of the hard precipitate stone (HPS) is sticking up:
In this one there are two veins of HPS still sticking out from the wall that the builders (recent ones, I think) got sick of hammering at it:
And here is a similar situation but with it running through a finished tomb:
They apparently didn’t even bother finishing whacking the stuff out and just worked around it.
We did map out nearly every drainage channel we could find there, I wonder what happened to all that data. I remember at least one report was written on the smaller tombs (I just looked at my copy) but I think John Rutherford — an excellent engineer who did most of the analysis — was working with Egyptian officials on flood control. I think he sent me a bunch of stuff on it, which I shall need to rummage through my files for.