After a summer of excavation, archaeologists feel confident in saying that the 18th century Bray School once stood on the grounds of Brown Hall, a William & Mary dormitory.
The Bray School was a charitable enterprise dedicated to the religious education of free and enslaved African American children. It was founded in Williamsburg in 1760 and affiliated with William & Mary on the advice of Benjamin Franklin. Terry Meyers, Chancellor Professor of English at William & Mary, has conducted considerable scholarship tracing the histories of the school and the building that housed it, the Dudley Digges House at the corner of Prince George and Boundary streets.
September 4, 2012
No Comments »
No comments yet.