April 11, 2012

To the chapel

Filed under: Cemeteries, Historic — acagle @ 6:57 pm

Archaeology team following clues to 1662 chapel

A team of archaeologists and volunteers is close to locating a 1662 chapel at Newtowne Neck in Compton.

Scott Lawrence of Grave Concerns and James Gibb of Gibb Archaeology Consulting were hired by St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus to look for the original chapel. The two have completed an archaeological survey of the church’s original cemetery. St. Francis Xavier is celebrating the 350th anniversary of the original church chapel this year.

It’s too bad there isn’t more photography to the story, because it seems really neat. They could apparently locate graves by only digging down 6″ or so and outlines would become clear due to disturbed sediment from below.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress